Open Burning in the Basalt Fire District

Open Burning is allowed October 1st through May 31st. Download a permit here, or stop by the District Headquarters in El Jebel, Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm.

Our Mission

The primary mission of the Basalt & Rural Fire Protection District is to provide emergency and non-emergency services for the protection of life and property in Pitkin and Eagle County, Colorado. The department provides 24-hour emergency response to a wide variety of critical situations, including fires, explosions, hazardous materials incidents, medical emergencies, accidents and miscellaneous public assistance requests. In addition, the department operates active fire prevention and emergency preparedness programs which provides for fire inspections, hazardous process permitting, fire code enforcement, community education and business emergency planning in accordance with Colorado laws.

Contact Us

1089 JW Drive
Carbondale, CO 81623
970-704-0675
info@basaltfire.org

Smoke & CO Detectors

Smoke Detectors

Each building in Colorado is required by law to have at least one smoke detector. Ideally they should be located in each bedroom, the hallway, and at the top of all stairways. Smoke rises, so the best place to install a detector is on the ceiling or high on an inside wall approximately 6-8 inches below the ceiling. However, do not install a smoke detector within three feet of any device that might blow the smoke away.

A battery-operated smoke detector, available at most hardware stores or building centers is sufficient. Be sure to test the batteries monthly and change them once a year. To test the smoke detector, push the test button, or blow out a candle and hold it up so the smoke reaches the smoke detector. Either method should work. Batteries normally last up to one year, and usually the smoke detector provides an audible indication (a chirping sound) when the batteries become weak. As a reminder, the Basalt Fire Department suggests you change your clock and check your smoke detector batteries in the Spring and/or Fall of every year.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a odorless, colorless gas produced by burning fossil fuels (Fossil fuels include natural gas, coal, kerosene, oil, propane and wood etc). Exposure to lower levels of CO over several hours can be just as dangerous as exposure to higher levels for a few minutes. Download the CO Fact Sheet.

Who Needs a CO Detector?

Single Family Residences

A single family residence, heated by a forced air furnace or a boiler that burns a fossil fuel , should have a carbon monoxide detector within forty (40) feet of all rooms used for sleeping. The carbon monoxide detector should be placed so it will be easily heard in all sleeping areas and should be installed according to manufacturers instructions.

Multiple Family Dwellings and Department Buildings

A multiple family dwelling or apartment building, in which a hot water or steam boiler, that burns a fossil fuel and is located in the basement, must have one approved carbon monoxide detector installed in the room containing the central heating unit. The carbon monoxide detector should be installed according to manufacturers instructions.

Every apartment that has its own warm air heating plant (portable furnaces, space heaters, etc.) that burns a fossil fuel, should have a carbon monoxide detector within forty (40) feet of all rooms used for sleeping. The carbon monoxide detector should be placed so it will easily be heard in all sleeping rooms and should be installed according to the manufacturers instructions.

Who is At Risk?

Those most at risk are:

  • Children
  • Elderly people
  • People with lung or heart disease
  • Pregnant woman

Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Sleepiness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea, vomiting
  • Dizziness, confusion
  • Difficulty breathing

If prolonged exposure continues, LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS, COMA and ultimately DEATH will occur.

Do you have any of these fuel burning appliances?

  • Gas furnace
  • Gas water heater
  • Fireplace
  • Wood burning stove
  • Gas range or oven
  • Gas dryer
  • Kerosene heaters
  • Charcoal/gas grill
  • Lawn mower
  • Snow blower
  • Chain saw

Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can occur if these appliances are improperly installed, maintained or damaged, and if they are malfunctioning or improperly used/ventilated. Furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves and chimneys should be checked yearly by a professional service. This is to ensure proper function and ventilation. Yard equipment (i.e. lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.) or charcoal/gas grills should never be used inside the home.

What to do if your CO detector goes off:

  • Get out!
  • As you leave, turn off fuel burning appliances if possible
  • Get fresh air
  • Call 911
  • Seek medical attention if you have signs & symptoms of CO poisoning
  • Don’t go back into the building until cleared by the fire department

Roaring Fork Fire & EMS

Member Login:
Login:
Password:
We use Aladtec for online scheduling

Wildfire Information

Check out the links below for valuable resources and information regarding wildfire preparedness and education.

Pitkin County Wildfire

Fire Chief's Video

Fire Ban Questions

The fire district is located in both Eagle and Pitkin Counties. The responsibility of initiating or rescinding fire bans falls to the sheriffs of both of these counties. Please direct any questions you may have to the Sheriff’s office in your county. To obtain a burn permit please go here.


Eagle County Sheriff's Office
(970) 328-8500


Pitkin County Sheriff's Office
(970) 920-5300